Catherine Recker has more than thirty years of experience representing individuals and corporations in criminal investigations, trials, appeals and in other government enforcement and regulatory matters. She is a member of the Board of Regents of the American College of Trial Lawyers, an invitation only fellowship of pre-eminent lawyers in the United States and Canada, and a member of the American Law Institute. She defends clients facing the most serious criminal charges and has conducted internal investigations both in the United States and abroad.
Her practice reflects a wide range of law enforcement focus on business crimes including securities fraud, tax violations, political corruption, trade and embargo violations, antitrust violations, financial fraud, Food Drug and Cosmetic Act and False Claims Act violations. She has successfully persuaded prosecutors to decline action against corporate executives, publicly-traded companies as well as small business owners. Chambers USA ranks her Band 1 for White Collar Crime and Government Investigations. She was named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyer in 2021 and 2014 and one of the Legal Intelligencer’s Women of the Year in 2012.
Chief Justice John Roberts appointed Ms. Recker to serve on the Federal Criminal Rules Advisory Committee in 2018. She was reappointed in 2021.
Ms. Recker was a delegate to the American College of Trial Lawyers’ United States/United Kingdom Legal Exchange in London in 2015 and in Philadelphia and Washington D.C. in 2016. The Exchange delegates included Supreme Court Justices as well as federal appellate and trial court judges from both countries.
Ms. Recker is also a Fellow in the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, an invitation-only trial lawyer organization limited to 500 members.
- An executive of a publicly-traded financial services corporation against criminal charges of public corruption and securities violations.
- The lead individual in a criminal prosecution alleging a massive Ponzi scheme and resulting SEC receivership and enforcement matter.
- A biotech company in a criminal investigation of FDCA violations as well as parallel False Claims Act litigation.
- Numerous employees at various levels of management of several publicly-traded pharmaceutical companies in criminal investigations into FDCA violations as well as civil False Claims Act investigations involving allegations of fraudulent promotional and sales practices.
- A speech therapist in a healthcare fraud jury trial resulting in acquittal of all charges.
- US and Bahamian-based global oil corporations in the UN Iraqi “Oil-for-Food” criminal prosecution.
- A Canadian national in a jury trial against charges of Trading with the Enemy involving trade with Cuba.
- A publicly traded multi-national corporation regarding FCPA issues.
- An Asian national in a criminal antitrust investigation.
- A corporation in a jury trial against price-fixing charges.
- Two individuals in a criminal tax prosecution resulting in acquittal of one individual and dismissal of all charges against the other.
- An individual in criminal federal and state environmental investigations into an oil refinery explosion.
- Five members of the Pennsylvania Senate and House of Representatives in litigation against City of Philadelphia over land use issues.
- American Law Institute
- Master, American Inn of Court at the University of Pennsylvania Carey School of Law
- Board of Directors, Executive Committee Member, Defender Association of Philadelphia
- Hearing Committee, Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania 2006 – 2012
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Board of Regents
- Chair Federal Criminal Procedure Committee (2014 – 2016)
- Delegate, United States/United Kingdom Legal Exchange (2015 London / 2016 Philadelphia, Washington D.C.)
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Ranked, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, White Collar Crime and Government Investigations 2007 – 2022
- Named by Best Lawyers, Pennsylvania Lawyer of the Year, Criminal Defense, 2021 and Philadelphia Lawyer of the Year, White Collar Criminal Defense, 2014
- Named Top Ten, “Pennsylvania Super Lawyers,” 2021
- Named one of The Legal Intelligencer’s 2012 Women of the Year